Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"A" for Lots of things!!!

Laksh tagged me to register my earliest memory once before some 4 months. I couldn’t do it by then or now but it is still on cards. And this Tag really dint make me work as much it did to the previous one – TO THINK basically, I happily started doing it.

A – The first letter of the Alphabet, The first letter I started identifying anywhere it is written when I was 3. My mom was so proud of me by then having great hopes on me.

Apple – One of the fruit I can’t eat willingly. I don’t like apples…Mummy pls…
Amma – An amazing mommy, who has always been and continues to be loving, caring, protecting, mentoring, shaping, shouting, scolding, beating (yes even now she beats me with a scale you know) but a selfless personality who just lives for the entire family; her maternal family, her own family, her husband’s family. Maa – is that not too much? I always wondered the endurance she had in all her tough times of life and how she could continue to be the same even after her 60 years??? She is so loved by my daddy that he used to write about her as his only strength in his diary. Sorry amma I don't have your pic on my system... another great realization!!!
Adaptability – One of my personal traits which I myself feel amazed at. I do not know how I got this ability. You throw her to a dump she’ll live and know how to sprout from it – Is what my daddy feels about me and I feel the same.
Aavakkai pickle – Yummy. I can just eat anything edible by humans to be specific vegetarians (not but apple) with this or just eat only the Pickle. It is one of the major factors for my High Blood Pressure. But still I am unable to avoid it.
Ammi and Aattukkal – The old age manual grinders with two different motions. Aattukkal – rotating clockwise and anticlockwise; Ammikkal - back and forth with the pestle. The food made using them will be sinfully tasteful. Let that be a simple “coconut chutney” or “Uzhundu Vadai” – The stones will render a special extra taste to the food, when compared with the machine made food items. I am nagging G every now and then to have one on my one, apartment life style and its own constraints. Sigh.

Ammikkal and Kuzhavi – The Grinding stone and rolling pestle.
Ambal – The Bhuvaneswari Ambal of my hometown and the Bhuvaneswari Amman Temple. Friday temple visits; Yearly Homam; Kumbabhishekam; Paarayanam; Vilakku Pooja; Light music; what not… Those days have become treasured memories now. I now realize how far I have traveled from those days of my beliefs and practices. It seems to be way too distant.
Ambulimaama – No, not the moon; The Amarchitrakatha publication which would come in Tamil. The Vikramaadithan Kadhaigal and the short stories which will take you to a whole new world and make you believe that world still exists. The illustrations made; colours used will all be a retreat to your eyes and these books increased my appetite of reading (storybooks) those days.
Age – Think what it can do to you!!! Its ability to transform a personality; the maturity it gives; and how everything in life changes all over when you really age. A big factor for the changes in the voyage of life isn’t?
Images Courtesy : Google Images.

2 comments:

Aparna said...

Hey Deepa! Nice words to associate with A :)

Deepa Gowtham's said...

@Apar...Thank you. and thank you for visiting my blog too.