Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Am I not a duteous Daughter-In-Law?

The reason why I raised this question, is the consequence of our latest argument. I heard from my Husband that my Sis-In-Law and her 3 yrs old daughter visited my Mom-in-Laws house which is a kilometer and a half distant, from my home. I decided to visit them the same night after my office. While I rendered some chocolates and cookies to the lil'one, we started talking about everyone in the family and the conversation centered on my bro-in-law. We started looking at some marriage proposals for him already. My ever curious betterhalf invited himself to the club to share his thoughts being the eldest in the family. It became a (half the) family sharing (coz, both my bro-in-laws and my FIL were sleeping) from how should the new entrant look to what should we look in her. Qualification, Complexion, Height, Weight, etc.etc., So when it came whether she should be employed or a willing homemaker everyone in the club had a different opinion. I stuck myself telling we should go by how the couple feel about it! My similitudes thought if she is willing to be at home - the better. So when we looked for my husbands opinion, came a shocking ( may be to me alone) statement..."Amma, if you want a duteous daugter-in-law, look for the latter, OR on the other hand if you want a high potential, earning member to the family, then we should put a quality search". There was a quick laughter and the awestricken me started thinking "what does he really mean?" I kept mum until I returned home and threw him the same Q. "Yein appadi sonna" (meaning 'why did he tell so')?. He couldn't immediately connect himself to my question. And having him explained, I asked him how did he differentiate a duteous daughter in law from an employed one. He was really blinking for a while and swore he din't mean anything or it didn't carry any hidden opinions. But I couldn't console myself. How a person without such a hypothesis at the back of their mind, can make such statements. No I and my husband never had an issue of being impious or disobedient to any of both the families. No he doesn't find my behaviour, character to be obnoxious or anything for that matter. But "Why"? What made him tell so...What led him to say" duteous OR employed"- both different entities? Does that not imply an employed woman is not or need not be duteous? If so, being a working woman "Am I not dutiful to my family"?. Is he thinking about me in that way? I am still wondering. Or is that I am thinking too much?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting question. My immediate thought would be nothing can just pop out of the mouth like that unless some corner of your brain believed that. Having said that I also know that I have said some pretty lame things that I end up saying I did not really mean it.

Eventually I realize I subscribe to some outdated views. Subconsciously. It takes time and effort to unlearn many things that are ingrained in us as a culture.

Deepa Gowtham's said...

@Laksh: Thanks Laksh. You are very true.

Anonymous said...

Years of conditioning can do that to people, talk without realizing the significance of what you are saying. Also, in a heated discussion, sometimes you might say things that you don't mean and I can so totally relate to "naan appadiya sonnen, I didnt mean it that way" :)

Deepa Gowtham's said...

@A-Kay, Thanks Akila for dropping by my blog. But that wasn't heated argument. If that was the case, I could've got convinced.